A procession of stone lanterns lines the steep path to this tiny temple, founded by Emperor Kammu with the priest Saicho in 805. In 1185, after the Minamoto clan's defeat of the Taira clan in the momentous Genpei War, the last survivor found refuge here (as depicted in the epic, The Tale of the Keike). Note the 11-faced statue of Kannon, evocative of the deity's Indian origins. The temple is number seven on Kyoto's Thirty-Three Kannon Pilgrimage. Choraku-ji is east of Maruyama Koen.
626 Maruyama-cho, Kyōto, 605-0071, Japan