- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Yamabana Heihachi-Jaya Review
Off the beaten path in the northeastern corner of Kyoto, this roadside inn is well known not only for its excellent full-course kaiseki ryori dinners, duck hot pots, boar stew, and delicious boxed lunches with mountain potatoes and barley rice, but also for the sauna in which patrons relax before dining. The kamaburo is fashioned from thick clay and heated from beneath the floor by a pine fire. After a soothing sauna, change into a cotton kimono and retire to the large dining room or an intimate private room for an exquisitely relaxing meal. This is an unforgettable way to round off a day exploring Hiei-zan and Ohara.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3599 -- Japan: 8-Night, 3-City Tour w/Air, Save $400 Friendly Planet Travel
We are back, and I am jotting down a few things quickly while my mind is still fresh.
First off: thanks to the many Japanophiles here on Fodors who infected us with their enthusiasm: hawaiiantraveller, Read more
Hokkaido, northern island is an amazing destination. Read more
I am planning a trip to Japan for Nov. Read more
· News & Features
Japan is not only a land for all seasons, it's a destination for all travelers.... Read more
There are infinite reasons to hit both Tokyo and Kyoto while visiting Japan (mochi donuts, anyone?). So,... Read more
This pass offers unlimited travel on Japan Railways (JR) trains...... Read more