- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
At a Glance
- excellent reputation
- proud heritage
- incomparable service
- extremely expensive
- must reserve dinner a day in advance
- no online reservations
Check Rates from our Partners
The most famous of Kyoto's traditional inns, Tawaraya has been host to dignitaries, presidents, and royalty. Notable guests have included Marlon Brando, Alfred Hitchcock, and Steven Spielberg. Founded more than 300 years ago and currently run by the 11th generation of the Okazaki family, the hotel is known not only for its hospitality, but also for the sumptuous but subdued decor, impeccable service, and splendid gardens. Every room is unique, furnished with superb antiques from the family collection. Private baths are made from fragrant cedar. Other amenities include a library, an elegant gift shop, and a superb kaiseki ryori restaurant. Reservations are accepted up to a year in advance.
- Address: Fuyacho-Aneyakoji-agaru, Nakahakusan-cho, Nakagyō-ku, Kyōto, 604-8094
- Phone: 075/211–5566
- Location: Central Kyoto
- 18 Japanese-style rooms.
- Rate includes some meals.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Now that the flurry of November trip reports has come and gone (they were great!), I figure it’s time for one more, before the reports from spring cherry blossom-viewing visits start to come in. This Read more
After more than a month back from Japan, I’m happy to finally have a bit of a breather that allows me to start a trip report. Read more
All my trips to Asia have been so successful in large part because of the advice I’ve received from Fodorites. Read more
· News & Features
Tokyo and Kyoto offer more than enough to cater to travelers many interests, whether you're hitting the ... Read more
Japan offers enough ancient architecture, commanding temples, and uninterrupted nature to satisfy you... Read more
Japan is not only a land for all seasons, it's a destination for all travelers.... Read more