Disappear behind a blue curtain off the cobbled streets of Gion into a Japanese fairy tale. Rooms connected by charming wooden passages look out onto an expansive garden, and tables are set with simple but sumptuous decorations. The decor sets the scene perfectly for a delicious, if not overly daring, kaiseki ryori meal. The kindly proprietors seem old enough to remember the Meiji Restoration, but their attention to the quality of your meal is unfailing. Inquire about the cozy ko-cha-shitsu, or "small tearoom" that's perfect for a romantic dinner for two. Minoko is less than a block from Yasaka Jinja's southern gate. Only minimal English is spoken, so have your concierge make the reservation for you.
- Address: 480 Kiyoi-cho, Shimogowara-dori, Gion, Higashiyama-ku, Kyōto, 605-0821
- Phone: 075/561–0328
- Location: Eastern Kyoto
- Reservations essential
- Closed 2nd and 4th Wed. of each month.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Hello, Well, I've been back for a couple of months now, so I better put out a trip report before my next vacation coming up next w... Read more
26.03.14 After 10 hrs flight from Copenhagen, arrival at the Narita Airport, Tokyo. Arrival ahead of time. We wait for our two frie... Read more