- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Disappear behind a blue curtain off the cobbled streets of Gion into a Japanese fairy tale. Rooms connected by charming wooden passages look out onto an expansive garden, and tables are set with simple but sumptuous decorations. The decor sets the scene perfectly for a delicious, if not overly daring, kaiseki ryori meal. The kindly proprietors seem old enough to remember the Meiji Restoration, but their attention to the quality of your meal is unfailing. Inquire about the cozy ko-cha-shitsu, or "small tearoom" that's perfect for a romantic dinner for two. Minoko is less than a block from Yasaka Jinja's southern gate. Only minimal English is spoken, so have your concierge make the reservation for you.
- Address: 480 Kiyoi-cho, Shimogowara-dori, Gion Higashiyama-ku, Kyōto, 605-0821
- Phone: 075/561–0328
- Location: Eastern Kyoto
- Reservations essential.
- Closed 2nd and 4th Wed. of each month.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Now that the flurry of November trip reports has come and gone (they were great!), I figure it’s time for one more, before the reports from spring cherry blossom-viewing visits start to come in. This Read more
After more than a month back from Japan, I’m happy to finally have a bit of a breather that allows me to start a trip report. Read more
Hi, I'm totally new to Fodor, so please be kind!
I've just booked flights to Japan and am trying to get my head round coming up with an itinery, which is proving harder than with any other trips I've done Read more
· News & Features
Tokyo and Kyoto offer more than enough to cater to travelers many interests, whether you're hitting the... Read more
Japan offers enough ancient architecture, commanding temples, and uninterrupted nature to satisfy you... Read more
Japan is not only a land for all seasons, it's a destination for all travelers.... Read more