- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Mukadeya. Homestyle o-banzai cooking is the specialty of this sophisticated restaurant found in a beautiful machiya (town house). Bonito sashimi, simmered pumpkin, and gingery ground chicken are artfully presented on lacquer trays, feasts for the eyes that taste even better than they look. Though only three set choices are available, you will find a rich variety of local seasonal fare often numbering between 8 and 12 courses. You'll be greeted warmly by kimono-clad hostesses then seated near a cheerful courtyard garden; the experience feels expansive and inviting. Even though the restaurant is not far from the Karasuma-Shijo intersection (roughly one block north and two blocks east), it is rather tricky to find. Let a taxi driver help you find your way to Mukadeya's front door. 381 Mukadeya-cho, Shin-machi-dori, Nishiki-agaru, Nakagyō-ku, Kyōto, 604-8214. 075/256–7039. Reservations essential. Closed Wed.
- Address: 381 Mukadeya-cho, Shin-machi-dori, Nishiki-agaru Nakagyō-ku, Kyōto, 604-8214
- Phone: 075/256–7039
- Location: Central Kyoto
- Reservations essential.
- Closed Wed.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Now that the flurry of November trip reports has come and gone (they were great!), I figure it’s time for one more, before the reports from spring cherry blossom-viewing visits start to come in. This Read more
After more than a month back from Japan, I’m happy to finally have a bit of a breather that allows me to start a trip report. Read more
· News & Features
Tokyo and Kyoto offer more than enough to cater to travelers many interests, whether you're hitting the... Read more
Japan offers enough ancient architecture, commanding temples, and uninterrupted nature to satisfy you... Read more
Japan is not only a land for all seasons, it's a destination for all travelers.... Read more