- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Very close to Kyoto Station, this temple is the first of the city's ancient sights to confront visitors arriving by bus. Its strong walls, mighty gates, and high-roofed main hall are impressive enough to make some newcomers believe they are looking at the Imperial Palace. In the current complex, largely a reconstruction in 1895, everything is dwarfed by the cavernous main hall, the second-largest wooden structure in Japan. During construction of the temple, female devotees had their hair cut and woven into the strong, thick rope needed to drag the heavy timber. A ragged section of one of these kezuna is on display inside the Daishi-do, a double-roofed structure that is admirable for its gracefully curving lines. From Kyoto Station walk 500 yards northwest.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $105* -- One-Way Domestic Flights Across Japan Featured Destination: Japan
- $105 & up -- Japan Vacation Deals; Save up to $600 Featured Destination: Japan
Trip Report Kyushu May 2013
I will try to trace our Kyushu trip for forum members and those interested in this part of Japan.
Here is basic itinerary
0-- Depart Hawaii, Hawaiian Air - Honolulu -Fukuoka Read more
We are back, and I am jotting down a few things quickly while my mind is still fresh.
First off: thanks to the many Japanophiles here on Fodors who infected us with their enthusiasm: hawaiiantraveller, Read more
As it stands now, we have the following train rides during our October-November stay in Japan:
1. Read more
· News & Features
Japan is not only a land for all seasons, it's a destination for all travelers.... Read more
There are infinite reasons to hit both Tokyo and Kyoto while visiting Japan (mochi donuts, anyone?). So,... Read more
This pass offers unlimited travel on Japan Railways (JR) trains...... Read more