- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Paintings by the Kano School are on view at this Tendai sect temple, a five-minute walk north of Chion-in. Although the temple's present building dates from 1895, the sliding doors and screens inside are centuries older. They are the work of the 16th-century painter Motonobu Kano, who is known for combining simple Chinese ink painting with Japanese ornamental styles. An immense camphor tree near the entrance makes the grounds a pleasant place to wander, and koto (harp) concerts are sometimes held in the evenings; in fall and spring the temple is lighted up from 6 pm to 10 pm. From Kyoto Station take Bus 206 to the Higashiyama-Sanjo stop.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $36 & up -- Japan Vacation Deals; Save up to $600 Featured Destination: Japan
We are back, and I am jotting down a few things quickly while my mind is still fresh.
First off: thanks to the many Japanophiles here on Fodors who infected us with their enthusiasm: hawaiiantraveller, Read more
Hokkaido, northern island is an amazing destination. Read more
I am planning a trip to Japan for Nov. Read more
· News & Features
Japan is not only a land for all seasons, it's a destination for all travelers.... Read more
There are infinite reasons to hit both Tokyo and Kyoto while visiting Japan (mochi donuts, anyone?). So,... Read more
This pass offers unlimited travel on Japan Railways (JR) trains...... Read more