Paintings by the Kano School are on view at this Tendai sect temple, a five-minute walk north of Chion-in. Although the temple's present building dates from 1895, the sliding doors and screens inside are centuries older. They are the work of the 16th-century painter Motonobu Kano, who is known for combining simple Chinese ink painting with Japanese ornamental styles. The painting of a blue cetaka, or guardian deity, is a national treasure. An immense camphor tree
near the entrance makes the grounds a pleasant place to wander, and koto (harp) concerts are sometimes held in the evenings; in fall and spring the temple is lighted up from 6 pm to 10 pm. From Kyoto Station, take Bus 206 to the Higashiyama-Sanjo stop.