- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Kawai Kanjiro Memorial House (Kawai Kanjiro Kinenkan)
Kawai Kanjiro Memorial House (Kawai Kanjiro Kinenkan) Review
The house and workshop of prolific potter Kanjiro Kawai has been transformed into a museum showcasing his distinctive works. One of the leaders of the Mingei (folk art) movement in the 1920s, Kawai's skill is evident in the asymmetrical vases, bowls, and pots on display in the house. Besides the fascinating workshop and enormous kiln preserved in an inner courtyard, the house itself is magnificent. It's a terrific opportunity for those who have never been inside a Japanese home. The house is a little hard to find, located in an alley just southwest of the Higashi-oji-dori and Gojo-dori intersection. To get here, take Bus 100 or 206 to Gojo-zaka. Walking west (downhill) on Gojo-dori, take the first left.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $105* -- One-Way Domestic Flights Across Japan Featured Destination: Japan
- $105 & up -- Japan Vacation Deals; Save up to $600 Featured Destination: Japan
Trip Report Kyushu May 2013
I will try to trace our Kyushu trip for forum members and those interested in this part of Japan.
Here is basic itinerary
0-- Depart Hawaii, Hawaiian Air - Honolulu -Fukuoka Read more
We are back, and I am jotting down a few things quickly while my mind is still fresh.
First off: thanks to the many Japanophiles here on Fodors who infected us with their enthusiasm: hawaiiantraveller, Read more
Here are the train segments we need. Read more
· News & Features
Japan is not only a land for all seasons, it's a destination for all travelers.... Read more
There are infinite reasons to hit both Tokyo and Kyoto while visiting Japan (mochi donuts, anyone?). So,... Read more
This pass offers unlimited travel on Japan Railways (JR) trains...... Read more