- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Getting to Know Gion
Japan's traditional and modern worlds intersect where Shijo-dori crosses Hanami-koji-dori in the district of Gion. To the south, cobblestone streets lead past wood-fronted teahouses displaying red paper lanterns, while a block northward are high-rises chock-full of bars. Eastward is Yasaka Jinja's commanding orange-and-white arched gate; westward are the city's best department stores.
Gion remains Kyoto's center for high culture, including venues offering Kabuki, Noh, and Bunraku puppetry theater. Perhaps more famous to foreign visitors is the floating world of geisha entertainment, brought into the spotlight recently by the film adaptation of Arthur Golden's Memoirs of a Geisha. Wandering around Hanami-koji-dori at night you're sure to see maiko-san and gekko-san, the modern equivalents of apprentice and senior geisha, on their way to appointments at exclusive teahouses behind curtained doorways.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $105* -- One-Way Domestic Flights Across Japan Featured Destination: Japan
- $105 & up -- Japan Vacation Deals; Save up to $600 Featured Destination: Japan