- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
The two major sights in central Kyoto are the opulent Nijo Castle and the more modest Imperial Palace. The latter requires permission, and you must join a guided tour. Central Kyoto is a big shopping destination: west of the Kamogawa to Karasuma-dori and on the north–south axis between Shijo-dori and Oike-dori, there are department stores, specialty shops, and restaurants. The walk (20 to 30 minutes) down Sanjo-dori from the south end of Nijo Castle to eastern Kyoto is loaded with tea- and coffeehouses, international cuisine, high-end boutiques, and museums.
Central Kyoto at a Glance
- Higashi-Hongan-ji (Eastern Temple of the Original Vow)
- Kyoto Imperial Palace (Kyoto Gosho)
- Kyoto Kokusai Manga Myujiamu (Kyoto International Manga Museum)
- Kyoto Station (Kyoto-eki)
- Nijo Jinya (Nijo Encampment)
- Ask a Giraffe
- Ca' Del Viale
- Café Bibliotic HELLO!
- Café Indépendants
- Giro Giro Hitoshina
- Manzaratei Nishiki
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's