- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
The Japan National Tourist Organization's Tourist Information Center (TIC) in Tokyo has free Hokkaido maps and brochures. It's the best place for travel information in English. If in Hokkaido already, get multilingual brochures and services at the Tourist Information Center found at the North Exit (kita guchi) of JR Sapporo Station opposite Mister Donuts.
To really get out into Hokkaido and see its wild side, join a hiking tour with Japan Adventures. The Hokkaido Bush Pig, New Zealander Leon Roode, runs two- to seven-day camping and hiking trips for the novice and the hard-core hiker.
Japan Adventures. Shinkawa 4-jo 10-chome 3-13, Kita-ku, Sapporo, 001-0924. 011/641-1115; 090/8275-5012 Leon direct. www.japan-adventures.com.
Hokkaido-Sapporo Tourist Information Center. 1F JR Sapporo Bldg., Kita, 6 Nishit 5, Chuo-ku, Sapporo, 060-0806. 011/222-4894. www.welcome.city.sapporo.jp. Daily 8-9.
Tourist Information Center (TIC). B-1 Tokyo International Forum Bldg., 3-5-1 Marunochi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-0006. 03/3201-3331. www.jnto.go.jp).
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3599 -- Japan: 8-Night, 3-City Tour w/Air, Save $400 Friendly Planet Travel
- Imperial Japan IExplore
- Imperial Japan — $9,975 IExplore