- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
The Northern Cape and Islands
Japan's northernmost point is windy and empty. In the short summer season, tiny alpine flowers bloom in coastal grasslands and on rocky outcrops overlooking the sea. In winter, little happens as people batten down the hatches. Come here only when you've already seen Daisetsu and Shiretoko. Visitors journey here for the hiking, flowers, bragging rights of having seen Japan’s northernmost extremity, and the solitude found in such edge-of-the-world places.
The Northern Cape and Islands at a Glance
Elsewhere in Hokkaido
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's