Aurora Icebreakers (Ryuhyo Kanko Saihyosen O-rora-go Unko)
Aurora Icebreakers (Ryuhyo Kanko Saihyosen O-rora-go Unko) Review
If you really want to break the ice in future conversations about Hokkaido and you're in Abashiri between late January and early April, take in some ryuhyo ocean drift icebergs (with some bird- and seal-watching). Weather permitting, icebreakers Aurora 1 and Aurora 2 sail from Aurora Terminal at the east end of Abashiri Port, letting you inspect winter ryuhyo (drift ice) at close range Drift ice is unpredictable, so check local conditions before you sail.
If that sounds too cold, try summer, when between late April and late October you can board the same boats from Utoro Port (50 miles away from Abashiri) for a sail around the uninhabited peninsula of Shiretoko National Park. Travel agencies in Tokyo and Sapporo offer package tours for both seasons.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's