- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Getting Here and Around
Otaru is an easy day trip from Sapporo. Trains run every 20 minutes and take about 40 minutes (sit on the right facing forward for the best coast views); the ¥1,500 Sapporo–Otaru Welcome Pass from JR Hokkaido permits one-day travel on Sapporo subways and the JR train to and from Otaru.
Otaru also makes a good base for touring around Hokkaido by car. Toyota Car Rental is near Otaru Station. Nippon Rent-a-Car is downtown. Neither agency has English-speaking staff, so ask the tourist office or your hotel to help with reservations.
While you're in town explore by bike; JR Rent Cycle, just to the right of the station exit, offers pedal- (¥1,000 for two hours) or electric- (¥1,200 for two hours) powered rentals.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe