- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Otaru nets its wealth in tourists these days, but the canal where barges used to land the catch of the day is still the center of action for thousands of domestic and Asian visitors reeled in by images of a romantic weekend retreat. Visitors from countries with 19th-century stone buildings of their own may be less impressed by the tourist strip along the canal, but rent a bike or walk away from the main drag and you can explore quaint neighborhoods and interesting buildings. Otaru also makes a good base for touring around Hokkaido by car. T he tourist office or your hotel can help you make reservations.
The Otaru Snow Gleaming Festival (February 9–18), when thousands of snow lanterns light up the canal area and old buildings, is a quieter concurrent alternative to the blockbuster Sapporo Snow Festival.
Otaru at a Glance
Elsewhere in Hokkaido
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's