- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Top Reasons to Go to Hokkaido
The Beer: Hokkaido has the Sapporo Beer brewery and local microbreweries in Otaru and Hakodate.
The Slopes: Deep powder and uncrowded lift lines are hallmarks of Hokkaido's ski resorts at Niseko, Rusutsu, and Furano.
The Valley of Hell: Sulfur-spewing springs at Noboribetsu, Toya, Akan, and Shiretoko volcanoes burst forth into vents and craters. Check out the ash flow from the eruption of Toya's Mt. Usu.
The Last Frontier: Salmon-fishing bears and red-crested cranes, alpine flowers, and vast forests hold modern Japan at bay. Although the most convenient way to see outback Hokkaido is by car, the vistas of mountains and plains are best viewed on foot or bike.
Winter Wonderland: Frigid winter nights are brightened by festivals. Out east, icebreakers cut through Arctic ice floes, and passengers spy seals and eagles.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe