- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
Biei and Furano
Flower fields and small farms at the base of the Taisetsu-san mountain range attract thousands of domestic and East Asian visitors hoping to get a taste of the simple country life. Although Western visitors may not be so wowed by lavender and potato fields, or by the art galleries and cutesy coffee shops that dot the region, it makes an attractive stopover area while driving to central or east Hokkaido between late May and September. Biei is a small modern village with neighboring rolling hills and a patchwork of crop fields (potato, corn, soba, sunflowers) to cycle around; Furano is a small town famous throughout Japan for its lavender farms (when in bloom) and its ski resort.
Biei and Furano at a Glance
Elsewhere in Hokkaido
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's