- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Japanese Phrases
A good touring base for eastern Hokkaido, Abashiri is a small town in the shadow of Tento-san. On the town outskirts are shallow coastal lakes with flowers and seabirds. Bicycles can be rented for slow sightseeing. The whaling fleet sets out from here on "research" trips ("research" is the official word, common parlance would call it "hunting") under Japan's interpretation of IWC rules, which keeps Japan at loggerheads with conservationists. Winters are harsh: visitors bundle up for boat tours through the ryuhyo (ice floes) that jam up on its shores and stretch out to sea as far as the eye can see.
Abashiri at a Glance
- Abashiri Prison Museum (Abashiri Kangoku Hakubutsukan)
- Aurora Icebreakers (Ryuhyo Kanko Saihyosen O-rora-go Unko)
Elsewhere in Hokkaido
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's