- The beer Hokkaido has the Sapporo Beer brewery and local microbreweries in Otaru and Hakodate.
- The slopes Deep powder and uncrowded lift lines are hallmarks of Hokkaido's ski resorts at Niseko, Rusutsu, and Furano.
- The valley of hell Sulfur-spewing springs at Noboribetsu, Toya, Akan, and Shiretoko volcanoes burst forth into vents and craters. Check out the ash flow from the eruption of Toya's Mt. Usu.
- The last frontier Salmon-fishing bears and red-crested cranes, alpine flowers, and vast forests hold modern Japan at bay. Although the most convenient way to see outback Hokkaido is by car, the vistas of mountains and plains are best viewed on foot or bike.
- Winter wonderland Frigid winter nights are brightened by festivals. Out east, icebreakers cut through Arctic ice floes, and passengers spy seals and eagles.
80° BY THE SEA
Looking for a beach vacation? Let us help you find the right spot.More