National Monument (Monas)
National Monument (Monas) Review
Surrounded by a grassy park in bustling Central Jakarta, the towering National Monument (Monument Nasional, or Monas) was begun by founding president Sukarno to celebrate Indonesia's independence in 1961 and remains the capital city's signature landmark. Beat the crowds to visit the observation desk nearly 400 feet high for a close up of the gold flame spiraling into the clouds. The National History Museum at the base of the marble-clad obelisk lays political propaganda on thick in its 51 dioramas. The park, officially Lapangan Merdeka (Independence Square), offers a random sociological study of the capital, especially on Sundays when it's packed with fitness warriors and various wandering "therapists" offering traditional massage.
- Address: Merdeka Square, Central Jakarta
- Phone: 021/316–1293
- Cost: Park entry Rp2,500; Observation Deck Rp7,500
- Hours: Daily 8–3 (except for being closed last Mon. of every month)
- Location: Jakarta
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I and my wife travelled to Bali Feb 2013 for 5 days and had one of our best holidays there. Read more
By way of introduction, Glen and I are from Washington DC, currently living in Abu Dhabi, UAE. Read more
Greetings Fodorites, here is my attempt at a report of my travels across Singapore, Indonesia, Australia, and New Zealand, a trip that took exactly one month to complete.
Before I begin, I want to say Read more
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching. ... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more