Uluwatu Temple Review
Enjoy a cultural doubleheader above the teeming surf at Pura Luhur Uluwatu. Located about 15 miles outside of Kuta, this ancient temple site anchoring Bali's southwestern tip may not impress as much as Besakih near Kitamani or Tanah Lot north of Seminyak, but the dramatic seaside cliffs, reminiscent of California's Big Sur, lend a mystical feel, especially at sunset. Steer clear of resident monkeys: remove glasses, earrings, and anything else they may grab. (Local kids will retrieve stolen items—for a price.) Don't carry food, and resist hawkers selling monkey snacks. The kecak dance, presented every day at 6 pm, features dozens of bare-chested men in elaborately costumed dance excerpts from the pan-Asian Ramayana legend. The cost is an extra Rp100,000.
- Address: Jalan Uluwatu, Bukit Peninsula, Uluwatu, Bali
- Cost: Rp 20,000
- Hours: Daily 8–7
- Location: Kuta
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I and my wife travelled to Bali Feb 2013 for 5 days and had one of our best holidays there. Read more
By way of introduction, Glen and I are from Washington DC, currently living in Abu Dhabi, UAE. Read more
we had the luck to use putu last week in bali for most of the week...he had been suggested by craig on this forum...
we were very pleased with him in every respect
his rates range from 250,000 rp to 400,000 Read more
· News & Features
After the recent debut of his Grand Cayman-inspired novel The Forever Girl, author Alexander McCall ... Read more
When's the best time to go?... Read more
The world's northernmost capital is a charming destination in all seasons.... Read more