Getting Here & Around
Jakarta has four districts: the wealthy and commercial south, the central business hub, the marine-oriented north, and the densely populated east. Most tourist attractions are in Central and South Jakarta. Soekarno-Hatta International Airport is 34 km (21 miles) west of the city center. Get around by taxi; choose trusted Blue Bird, its premium sister Silver Bird, or Express Group. Taxi drivers with these companies usually speak some basic English. Jakartans are generally friendly and will helpfully give directions if you reach a language impasse. Avoid minivans and public buses beyond TransJakarta Busway's limited network.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe