Indonesia Travel Guide
Plan Your Indonesia Vacation
Thanks to its size and climate, Indonesia has enormous biodiversity—1,500 species of colorful birds, a glittering array of tropical fish, and mammals like elephants, rhinos, and the world’s largest population of orangutans. Though you'd never know it on some of the more exclusive beaches that ring the country's 17,000 islands, Indonesia is home to more than 230 million people. It's the largest economy in Southeast Asia and the larger cities are burdened by the challenges of the modern world. The country's capital (and its commercial and economic center) Jakarta suffers from gridlock, pollution, and flooding, but other locations across archipelago are more appealing, most notably famed tropical paradise island Bali.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Indonesia restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in Indonesia
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I and my wife travelled to Bali Feb 2013 for 5 days and had one of our best holidays there. Read more
By way of introduction, Glen and I are from Washington DC, currently living in Abu Dhabi, UAE. Read more