- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Varanasi is a chaotic place, and although you can certainly find your own way around, you might want to hire a guide for your first day to help you get oriented: it will cost you about Rs. 700 for a half day, and about Rs. 1,100 for an eight-hour full day. You can book a guide through your hotel, or through the Indian Tourism Office. A guide will also know which temples and mosques are open only to their own sects; he may be able to help get you in.
Out on your own, walking is your best bet within the old city, and if your feet get tired, or you get lost, take an auto- or cycle-rickshaw.
Varanasi's airport is about 23 km (14 miles) from the Cantonment area, or 30 km (19 miles) from the riverfront area.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe