Varanasi Travel Guide
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Essential India
Plan Your Varanasi Vacation
A visit to Varanasi, formerly known as Benaras or Benares, or as Kashi (meaning "resplendent with light"), is an experience unlike any other. This is the epitome of a holy city, inundated with religious pilgrims and sacred cows, yet it is also a city firmly grounded in the commerce and reality of day-to-day existence. A visit here is thrilling but exhausting, and never boring.
There are two options in Varanasi: you can stay near the water, where most of the lodgings are smaller and right in the midst of the action; or you can...read more
Find the best Varanasi restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in Varanasi
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
Now79° F Haze 47% Humidity April 17, 2014 at 2:30PM
Check historic weather for your trip datesArriving:
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Hello everyone! Read more
It’s time for this lurker to say thanks for all your help in planning for our recent visit to India and Nepal. Read more