Tours can be useful if you're not inclined to figure out the logistics of planes, trains, and hiring drivers. Make sure you shop around and know what you're paying for, though. Ask questions: How much can the tour be personalized? Will it be a group tour, or will it just be the people in your party? Finally, don't limit your research to just North American or European tour groups; many Indian tour companies put together well-regarded tours for foreign nationals, and their rates are often cheaper than their foreign competitors.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe