Delhi's huge new airport terminal is helping ease congestion at the busiest airport in the country. Flying into Mumbai is also an option, though long-needed improvements there are still a few years off. You'll need to take a taxi or have a driver pick you up from either airport: public transportation isn't a realistic option. Delhi's airport is about 30 minutes from the city center; it can take two hours to reach Mumbai's center from the airport. Allow lots of extra time for the transfer, especially if you arrive during the day, as roads are prone to bottlenecks and other delays. If you haven't arranged transportation in advance through your hotel, head to the prepaid government-approved stands past immigration and customs, and ignore touts offering other options.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe