Side Trips from Delhi Sights

Vishvanath Temple

  • Religious Building/Site/Shrine

Published 04/06/2017

Fodor's Review

Two staircases lead up to this temple, the northern one flanked by a pair of lions and the southern by a pair of elephants. The Vishvanath probably preceded the Kandariya, but here only two of the original corner shrines remain. On the outer wall of the corridor surrounding the cells is an impressive image of Brahma, the three-headed Lord of Creation, and his consort, Saraswati. On every wall the female form predominates, portraying some women's 10th-century occupations: writing a letter, holding a baby, applying makeup, or playing music. The nymphs of paradise are voluptuous and provocative, the erotic scenes robust. An inscription states that the temple was built by Chandela King Dhanga in 1002. The temple sits on a terrace to the east of the Chitragupta and Devi Jagdamba temples.

Sight Information

Address:

Khajuraho, Madhya Pradesh, 471606, India

Published 04/06/2017

Advertisement

Book A Trip
  • HOTELS

  • FLIGHTS

  • PACKAGES

  • CARS

What's Nearby

  • Restaurants
  • Sights

See all sights in Side Trips from Delhi

No Thanks