- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Travels to India (1–2 Aakar Complex, University Rd., Keshav Nagar, Udaipur, Rajasthan, 313001. 294/241–5881. www.travelstoindia.com.)
Government of Rajasthan Tourist Office (Fateh Memorial, Suraj Pol, Udaipur, Rajasthan, 313001. 294/241–1535. www.rajasthantourism.gov.in.)
The Lakes Spill Over in Udaipur
After a drought in 2000, Pichola Lake dried up: boys played cricket and cows grazed in the lake bed. The Taj Lake Palace hotel was a sad sight, sitting in what looked more like a puddle than a lake, and elephants and jeeps ferried guests from the "lakeshore." During the 2005 monsoon the skies finally opened and the lakes filled up in days; locals and the tourism industry heaved great sighs of relief. By 2008 the lake had dried up again, and it remained relatively parched until the 2010 monsoon, when heavy rains again filled the lake. Since then the monsoons have been good and the lake remains quite full.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe