- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
A Good Tour
In Jaisalmer it's next to impossible to follow a straight path—the city is a maze of streets and passageways—so trust your instincts and don't be afraid to ask the locals for directions. You can't get too lost, because Jaisalmer is fairly small. The major landmark is the Golden Fort, which is every bit as labyrinthine as the rest of the city; allow several hours to explore the attractions within. After visiting there, walk north to the Salim Singh-ki Haveli, Patwon-ki Haveli, and Nathmal-ki Haveli. Finally, you can hail an auto-rickshaw—or hop a camel, if you've arranged this with a local travel agent the day before—and head southeast toward Gadsisar Lake and the nearby Folklore Museum. You can end your day with a puppet show at the Desert Culture Centre.
You can do this tour in a day. If you spend a second day in town, visit the royal cenotaphs at Bada Bagh and then head out of the city to Sam Sand Dunes for a sunset camel ride back.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's