- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Around Jaisalmer
Jaisalmer is not easy to reach. There is a small military airport, but at this writing there are no commercial flights, although there is talk of having a civil airport functional by the end of 2013. From Jodhpur, Jaisalmer is about six hours by car or train; from Jaipur the train ride is about 12 hours; from Delhi it's a grueling 17-18 hours by train. There are no direct trains to Jaisalmer from Udaipur.
With clean lanes, little traffic, and few crowds, Jaisalmer's fort and the surrounding areas are easily covered on foot (heat permitting), although you can also take an auto-rickshaw from the base of the fort to other parts of town. Rickshaws are not metered, so be sure to bargain and fix a price before setting off.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's