- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mumbai has two main train stations for travel outside of Mumbai (they also both act as stations for the local railroad). Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, more commonly called Victoria Terminus, is the hub of India's Central Railway line. Mumbai Central Station is the hub of India's Western Railway line. Make sure to go to the right train station.
To avoid the pandemonium at the stations, have a travel agent book your ticket; this costs a bit more but saves time and stress. Or book online: Indian Railways has a decent website (www.indianrailways.com) or, better yet, go to www.yatra.com —India's version of Expedia—where you can now book Indian Railway tickets in a much more user-friendly format. For information on confirming a ticket or on arrivals and departures ask a local to make the phone call.
If you decide to book in person, head for the tourist counter established specially for foreign travelers. Eliciting information about trains on the telephone is usually impossible—local stations have no phone number, the national lines are usually busy, and the interactive voice-response numbers are in Hindi.
Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus. Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (aka CST, Victoria Terminus, or VT) D. Naoroji Rd., Mumbai, Maharashtra, 400002.
Mumbai Central Station (Adjacent to Tardeo, Central Mumbai, Mumbai, Maharashtra, 400006.)
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's