- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Between Kochi and Quilon (Kollam), to the south, is the immense labyrinth of waterways called kayals, through which much of the life of the Malayalee has historically flowed. From the vastness of Vembanad Lake to quiet streams just large enough for a canoe, the backwaters have carried Kerala's largely coconut-based products from village to market for centuries, and continue to do so today. You can relax at some of Kerala's finest resorts, or briefly join the floating lifestyle by taking a boat cruise.
The terrain rises and the temperature drops as you move inland, up into the teak-forested hills of Thekkady and Munnar. Kerala's interior is elephant country—you'll find them roaming in Lake Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary and even appearing in the mists of Munnar's tea plantations.
Central Kerala at a Glance
- Abad Whispering Palms
- Aranya Nivas
- A Beach Symphony
- Camp Noel
- Club Mahindra Backwater Retreat
- Club Mahindra Lakeview
- Club Mahindra Tusker Trails
- Coconut Lagoon
- Hotel Lake Palace
- Kaivalyam Retreat
- Kayaloram Heritage Lake Resort
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's