- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Margao, about 7 km (4 miles) inland from the coast, is the main town in South Goa. There's a bustling market, and it's worth exploring for its shopping areas, but only if you happen to be passing through; there's no reason to stay here. If you want to check out the sights, make Colva or Benaulim your base, and get the benefit of the beach and the nightlife after your day out. Excursions include the villages of Loutolim and Chandor, which have beautiful ancestral homes, some of which date from the early 1600s. The beaches of the south are more relaxing than those of the north; people here are less prone to partying, although there is more shack life in the south now than there used to be. Some of the state's most luxurious and expensive resorts are in this area.
South Goa at a Glance
Places To Explore
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's