- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Panaji has somewhat less of the poverty and hustle and bustle of India's other state capitals, and its palm-lined plazas, elegant Portuguese colonial architecture, and other sights are easy to explore. There are historic homes and churches, restaurants serving flavorful Goan cuisine, and many unique galleries and boutiques. The best way to see the older parts of the city is on foot—in fact, if you leave without having explored the backstreets at leisure, you haven't really seen the best it has to offer. For diehard sun-and-sand lovers, there's the city beach at Dona Paula, but Panaji isn't recommended for its beaches, as they tend to be dirty and crowded.
Panaji at a Glance
- Archaeological Museum
- Basilica of Bom Jesus
- Church of Our Lady of Immaculate Conception
- Dr. Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary
- Dudhsagar Waterfalls
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's