- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Friday is the big market day in Mapusa (pronounced map-sa)—the main town in the Bardez district. People from adjoining villages and some transplanted hippies convene to sell everything from vegetables to blue jeans to handicrafts. It's an ideal place to buy souvenirs. Mapusa is not a place you'd want to stay for the night, and there's really nothing much to see here, but like Margao in the south, the town is good for brief forays to shop and take care of other necessities. Steer clear of it as much as possible if you want to maintain a cheerful mood—except for the lively Friday market, the town is a bit dreary.
Elsewhere in North Goa
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's