Through the Amarvilas' illuminated Mughal courtyard and grand marble lobby, this intimate den celebrates local craftsmanship, with square pillars of red sandstone and white marble and carved wooden screens. Through the glass wall of the kitchen you can watch the chefs at work. The menu emphasizes the frequently elaborate and rich Lucknowi cuisine. Specialties include Esphahani raan (leg of lamb, marinated for 24 hours, roasted for 6 to 8 more, deboned, then cooked crisp in the tandoor). The tiger prawns marinated in citrus yogurt are good too. Live instrumental music, including sitar performances, adds to the mood throughout the week.
- Address: Oberoi Amarvilas, Taj East Gate Rd., Agra, Uttar Pradesh 282001
- Phone: 562/223–1515
- Location: Agra
- Credit cards accepted.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
The southern rural province of Kerala is very different from India's urban centers: it is uncrowded, clean, with a relaxed pace - a great place to unwind, eat fresh seafood, swim in warm winte Read more
First of all, I want to thank all posters from whom I gleaned information for my India trip. Read more
My husband and I are working with an agent to reserve rail, flight and drivers. Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate ... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more