Fodor's Essential India
Through the Amarvilas' illuminated Mughal courtyard and grand marble lobby, this intimate den celebrates local craftsmanship, with square pillars of red sandstone and white marble and carved wooden screens. Through the glass wall of the kitchen you can watch the chefs at work. The menu emphasizes the frequently elaborate and rich Lucknowi cuisine. Specialties include Esphahani raan (leg of lamb, marinated for 24 hours, roasted for 6 to 8 more, deboned, then cooked crisp in the tandoor). The tiger prawns marinated in citrus yogurt are good too. Live instrumental music, including sitar performances, adds to the mood throughout the week.
- Address: Oberoi Amarvilas, Taj East Gate Rd., Agra, Uttar Pradesh 282001
- Phone: 562/223–1515
- Location: Agra
- Credit cards accepted.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
So on our FIFTH trip to India, we decided we'd had enough of the mess up north and decided to focus on one of the less-visited regions in search of India's amazing fauna. Read more
India is indeed a land of bright smiles and bright colors. Read more
Phew..Visa arrived. We did use a company in Houston to obtain visa and they arrived a week before we needed them.
Here is our itinerary:
We are staying i Read more
· News & Features
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting. ... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more
Kick off spring with some of this year's best events and hotel packages in Washington, D.C.... Read more