- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Chinese Phrases
Getting Here and Around
Too close to Ürümqi to have its own airport, Turpan is an inconvenient 60 km (38 mi) south of the nearest train station in Daheyan. A high-speed train link to the town itself is under construction, but no date has been given for its completion. If you arrive by train, take a taxi (Y40) or a public bus (Y7.50) to reach the city. The easiest way to reach Ürümqi from Turpan is by bus (2½ hours). Buses leave every 20 minutes from 7:30 am to 8:30 pm, and cost Y40 one way. The terminal is in the center of town on the north side of Laocheng Lu. Leaving Turpan is more difficult than arriving: one bus daily departs at noon for Kashgar. For any other destination, you'll have to head back to Ürümqi.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe