The Silk Road Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Chinese Phrases
Top Reasons to Go to the Silk Road
Terracotta Warriors: Visit one of the nation's most haunting and memorable sites—the vast life-size army of soldiers, built to outlast death.
Discover Dunhuang: Satisfy your inner archaeologist at the magnificent Mogao caves and scale the shifting slopes of Singing Sand Mountain.
Seek Solace at Kumbum Monastery: Visit one of the six great monasteries of the Tibetan Buddhist sect known as Yellow Hat, reputedly the birthplace of the sect's founder, Tsong Khapa.
Tour Turpan: Discover the ruins of the ancient city-states Jiaohe and Gaochang, destroyed by Genghis Khan and his unstoppable Mongol hordes.
Kashgar and the Karakorum Highway: Explore Central Asia's largest and liveliest bazaar before heading south to the snow-capped Pamir Mountains and crystal-clear Karakul Lake.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe