- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Chinese Phrases
With its cool mountain air and laid-back locals, Kunming is one of China's most comfortable big cities, and is an ideal base for Yunnan travels. It's one of the few cities in the country that regularly has blue skies, and is nicknamed the "Spring City." Despite this moniker, weather can be gray and soggy during the summer monsoon season and cold in January and February.
Kunming is changing rapidly as the city is transforming into China's gateway to Southeast Asia. But despite the disappearance of the Old City and increasingly congested traffic, Kunming retains its unique character as a relaxed and somewhat idiosyncratic metropolis.
Kunming at a Glance
- Alei Lounge Club & Tapas Bar (ALEI jiǔ láng jīngzhì xiǎo diǎn)
- Chapter One
- Dune Café (Shāqiū kāfēiguǎn)
- Dynamic Yunnan (Yúnnán yìngxiàng)
- 1910 La Gare du Sud (Huǒchē nán zhàn)
- As You Like
- Makye Ame (Mǎjí āmǐ)
- Moonlight Corner (Yuèliàng wān)
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's