- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Chinese Phrases
Stone Forest (Shílín)
Stone Forest (Shílín) Review
One of the most interesting sites near Kunming is a geological phenomenon known as the Stone Forest. This cluster of dark gray-limestone karst formations has been twisted into unusual shapes since being formed beneath the sea 270 million years ago. Many have been given names to describe their resemblance to creatures real (turtles) or mythological (phoenixes).
Walking through the park you'll find plenty of Sani women eager to act as guides and sell you their handicrafts. The main trail become rather commercialized, but there are plenty of similar formations in other parts of the park. Stone Forest-bound Buses depart every 15 to 30 minutes from Kunming's East Bus Station, although hiring a car and driver is more convenient.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
In all the years traveling to China, we missed the UNESCO World Heritage Site Huangshan (sister national park of the US Yosemite Park) until we no longer have the stamina to climb up to the top of the peaks. Read more
The new one post with opinions and recommendations on Lijiang
http://chinainmyhands2013.blogspot.com/2013/09/magical-lijiang.html Read more
My partner's father works in China and gets a lot of air miles through his job, so we may have the opportunity to visit next year. Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate ... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more