- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Chinese Phrases
Yangshuo has taken center stage as Guangxi's top tourist destination. At the heart of the city is West Street, a pedestrian mall extending to the Li River. Many visitors are content to spend a few days eating, drinking, and gazing over the low-slung traditional structures facing toward the fang-shaped peaks that surround the town. Yangshuo is fast becoming a destination for adventure travel, and the countryside is filled with opportunities for biking, hiking, rock climbing, and caving.
Keep in mind that Yangshuo isn't off the beaten path. It's part and parcel of the Southeast Asia backpacker circuit that was forged in the 1970s, and remains well-trodden to this day. The main drag throbs with the cacophony of Hong Kong canto-pop, reggae, hip-hop, and classic rock. In restaurants competing for the tourist trade you can order everything from lasagna to enchiladas to pad thai noodles.
Yangshuo at a Glance
- Café China (Yuánshǐ rén kāfēi tīng)
- Dynasty Dumplings (Yīpǐnjū jiǎozi)
- Ganga Impression (Hénghé yìnxiàng)
- Kelly's Place (Dēnglóng fēngwèiguǎn)
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's