- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Chinese Phrases
Known throughout China for its fairy-tale scenery, Guangxi's rivers, valleys, and stone peaks have inspired painters and poets for centuries. From the distinctive terraced rice fields of Longsheng, which resemble a dragon's spine, to the karst rock formations that surround Guilin and Yangshuo and rise from the coastal plain in the south, Guangxi is quite possibly the most picturesque of China's regions.
A significant portion of Guangxi's population consists of ethnic minorities: the Dong, Gelao, Hui, Jing, Miao, Shui, Yao, Yi, and, in particular, the Zhuang people, who constitute about a third of the province's population. Guangxi has often seen conflict between these indigenous peoples and the Han, who established their rule only in the 19th century. Today it is one of five autonomous regions, which, in theory, have an element of self-government.
The climate is subtropical and affected by seasonal monsoons, with long, hot, humid, and frequently wet summers and mild winters. Guangxi is one of the most popular travel destinations in China.
Guangxi at a Glance
- Elephant Trunk Hill (Xiàngbí shān)
- Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region Museum (Guǎngxi zhuàng zìzhìqū bówùguǎn)
- Longsheng Longji Rice Terraces (Lóngshèng lóngjí tītián)
- Ming Tomb (Jìngjiāngwáng líng)
- Moon Hill (Yuèliàng shān)
- Beifang Renjia (Běifāng rénjiā)
- Café China (Yuánshǐ rén kāfēi tīng)
- Dynasty Dumplings (Yīpǐnjū jiǎozi)
- Ganga Impression (Hénghé yìnxiàng)
- The Here (Zhèlǐ)
- Inaka (Tiánshè rìběn liàolǐ)
- Kelly's Place (Dēnglóng fēngwèiguǎn)
- Le Vôtre (Lèdé fǎshì cāntīng)
- Eva Inn (Sìjì chūntiān jiǔdiàn)
- The Giggling Tree
- Li Qing Guesthouse (Lìqíng kèzhàn)
- Lijiang Waterfall Guilin (Líjiāng dàpùbù jiǔdiàn)
- Magnolia Hotel (Báiyùlán jiǔdiàn)
- Majestic Hotel (Mīngyuán xīndū dàjiǔdiàn)
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's