- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Chinese Phrases
The Three Gorges
The third-longest river in the world after the Amazon and the Nile, the Yangtze cuts across 6,380 km (3,956 mi) and seven provinces before flowing out into the East China Sea. After descending from the mountain ranges of Qinghai and Tibet, the Yangtze crosses through Yunnan to Sichuan, winding its way through the lush countryside between Sichuan and Hubei before flowing northward toward Anhui and Jiangsu. Before the 20th century, many lost their lives trying to pass through the fearsome stretch of water running through what is known as the Three Gorges—the complicated system of narrow cliffs between Fengjie, in Sichuan, and Yichang, in Hubei.
The spectacular scenery of the Three Gorges—Qutang, Wu, and Xiling—has survived the rising waters of the newly dammed Yangtze River. A trip through the Three Gorges offers a glimpse of the new China moving full steam ahead. Almost all of the cities and towns in the area are in the middle of a construction and tourism boom. The Yangtze itself has endless streams of passenger and cargo boats moving up and downstream.
While there is no doubt that much of the Three Gorges' charm has been diminished by the flooding of the area, what's done is done, and the Gorges are still scenic and fascinating. Sitting on deck and taking in the moon and stars on a clear night while heading downstream is a great way to escape the hustle and bustle of Chinese cities.
The Three Gorges at a Glance
Elsewhere in Chongqing and the Yangtze River
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book 3 Nts in Chengdu this May Fr $30+/Nt Expedia
- Special deal: 4-Star Sheraton Chengdu Lido Fr $178+/Nt Expedia
- Book 3 Nts in Chengdu this May Fr $74+/Nt — $74 Expedia
- May deal: Crowne Plaza Chengdu City Center Fr $144+/Nt — $144 Expedia
- Save in Chengdu: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $31+/Nt — $31 Expedia