- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Chinese Phrases
Xintiandi and City Center
Xintiandi is Shanghai's showpiece restoration project. Reproduction shikumen (stone gate houses) contain expensive bars, restaurants, and chic boutiques. It's at its most magical on a warm night, when locals, expats, and visitors alike pull up a chair at one of the open-air restaurants and watch the world go by.
Another good people-watching spot is the area around People's Square, which has some magnificent examples of modern and historical architecture and a smattering of museums. The adjoining People's Park is a pleasant green space where it's possible to escape the clamor of the city for a while.
Xintiandi and City Center at a Glance
- Dongtai Lu Antiques Market (Dōngtái lù)
- Grand Theater (Shànghǎi dàjùyuàn)
- Park Hotel (Guójì fàndiàn)
- People's Park (rénmín góngyuán)
- People's Square (rénmín guăngchăng)
Elsewhere in Shanghai
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's