- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Chinese Phrases
Xintiandi and City Center
Xintiandi is Shanghai's showpiece restoration project. Reproduction shikumen, or stone gatehouses, contain expensive bars, restaurants, and chic boutiques. It's at its most magical on a warm night, when locals, expats, and visitors alike pull up a chair at one of the outside seating areas and watch the world go by.
Another good people-watching spot is the area around People's Square, which has some magnificent examples of modern and historical architecture and a smattering of some of Shanghai's best museums. The adjoining People's Park is a pleasant green space where it's possible to escape the clamor of the city for a while.
Xintiandi and City Center at a Glance
- Dongtai Lu Antiques Market (Dongtái lù)
- Grand Theater (Shànghai dàjùyuàn)
- Park Hotel (Guójì fàndiàn)
- People's Park (rénmín góngyuán)
- People's Square (rénmín guangchang)
Elsewhere in Shanghai
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $2299 -- China: 11-Night Vacation w/Air & Tours, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel