- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Chinese Phrases
Shanghai's quick and efficient subway system—called the Shanghai metro—is an excellent way to get around town, and the network grows exponentially every year. English maps and exit signs abound, and the single-ticket machines have an English option, too. In-car announcements for each station are given in both Chinese and English. Keep your ticket handy: you'll need to insert it into a second turnstile as you exit at your destination.
Transport cards that cost a refundable Y30 are available from metro stations. Top them up with as much money as you like, and use them to pay for taxi, metro, and bus rides. They aren't discounted, but they'll save you time you would have spent joining queues and fumbling for cash. To purchase say, "Wo yao yi ka", which means "I want a card."
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe