- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Chinese Phrases
This area could take a very long afternoon or morning, as it's a good one to do on foot. Browsing the shops in and around the Yu Garden might add a couple of hours. At press time, Shanghai's ever expanding metro system had not quite yet reached Old City. However, it's a short walk east from Nanjing Dong Lu station on Line 2, and a slightly longer walk south from Huangpi Nan Lu on Line 1. If you get off the metro at Nanjing Dong Lu, walk slightly east and you will be able to pick up a taxi outside of rush hour. During rush hour, we do not recommend going here. If you are exiting Huangpi Nan Lu station, you will have an easier time hailing a cab and do not need to walk in a specific direction. Again, it is difficult during rush hour for anyone to get a cab, so be forewarned. Taxis are nearly impossible to find in this area when you want to leave.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe