Nightlife & the Arts in Shanghai
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Chinese Phrases
Fueled equally by expatriates and an increasingly adventurous population of locals, Shanghai boasts an active and diverse nightlife. Shanghai lacks the sort of performing-arts scene you'd expect from a city its size, but it's getting there. Chinese opera remains popular with an older crowd and is even enjoying resurgence with a younger audience.
For modern culture more in tune with Shanghai's vibe head to the Shanghai Dramatic Arts Center, which balances sumptuous historical epics with small, provocative plays examining burning social issues like infidelity, divorce, and AIDS. Plucky modern-dance troupes perform at private venues like the Downstream Warehouse.
Browse Shanghai Nightlife
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's