Pearl River Delta Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Chinese Phrases
To Your Health!
Good-bye Starbucks, hello Wong Chun Loong! For decades the Loong beverage franchise has dominated the Guangzhou scene, and for good reason. They serve drinks that are thirst-quenching, healthy, and taste good (sometimes). The most popular drinks are huomaren, a beverage made from crushed hemp seeds (it's the brown beverage displayed on the counter) and yezi, or coconut milk. A cup of either costs only Y5.
Wong Chun Loong also brews Chinese medicinal teas—some of the bitterest stuff you're ever likely to taste. If you'd like to try some, point to your throat and say "wo gan mao"—"I have a cold." If you're nice, they may give you a free piece of candy to cut the aftertaste.
There are about 800 branches in the city, so you're bound to stumble on one of them.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe