Macau Travel Guide

The Basics

The Macau Government Tourist Office (MGTO) is well managed.

To enter Macau, Americans and Canadians need only a valid passport for stays of up to 30 days, while EU citizens can stay for 90.

The Macanese pataca (MOP) has a fixed exchange rate of MOP$1.032 to HK$1 and roughly MOP$8 to US$1. Patacas come in 10, 20, 50, 100, 500, and 1,000 MOP banknotes plus 1, 2, and 5 MOP coins. A pataca is divided into 100 avos, which come in 10-, 20-, and 50-avo coins. Hong Kong dollars are accepted in Macau on a 1:1 basis.


Macau Government Tourist Office (335–341, Alameda Dr. Carlos d'Assumpção, Macau. 853/2833–3000 in Macau; 8238–8680 in Hong Kong.

Previous Travel Tip

Getting Oriented

Next Travel Tip




Book Your Trip

Compare Sites:

Compare Sites:

Compare Sites:

News & Features
Trip Finder

Fodor's Hong Kong

View Details
Travel Phrases

Learn Chinese Phrases before or while you're on the go!

Download Now